Project Proposal Grading Rubric
- Does the project proposal clearly include a problem and a tentative solution for the final proposal essay?
- Does the proposal explain why the problem and solution are important and relevant to a specific audience? Can the specific audience enact the proposed solution? Is a specific method for contacting (by email or postal delivery) the audience stated?
- Has a research question been proposed? (What question will the student start their research with?)
- Is a tentative, working thesis, which addresses the problem and proposes a solution, clear? Is this tentative thesis clearly for the final project proposal?
- Is the introduction engaging? Does the conclusion close the proposal? Are spelling, grammar, and organization excellent? Does the assignment meet the length requirement of 3-4 pages?
If the answer to any of these questions is “no,” I give the essay some kind of C. If the answer to most of the questions is “no,” its grade will be lower. To essays that have received “yes” answers to the questions above, I add the following:
- Does the project proposal include a research plan? (For example, what do you need to know to write a persuasive final proposal essay about the problem? Does the plan include kinds of sources and tentative keywords and search terms? What questions might follow from your research question?)
- Have the “so what” and “who cares” questions been addressed? (For example, what are the implications of your research beyond your specific audience? Which other audiences might be interested in what you discover? What impact might your research have on whom? How can your study contribute to the ongoing conversation about the problem? Will your work build upon, challenge, or extend upon solutions others have proposed?)
- Does the proposal include a personalized proposed schedule for writing the final proposal during the entire semester?
- Is a preliminary works consulted list included?
Depending on my answers to these questions, I give the essay some kind of A or some kind of B.