I can’t be in class on Friday. Please send me, before 5:00 PM on Friday, an email that states the most important point of Prose’s chapter entitled “Gesture” and a very brief explanation of why that point matters. Also, address these questions:
- How do your characters act in the face of opposition/desires that contrast with their own? Do they plan, try to persuade, take physical action, for example?
- Describe three events that your central character remembers and that influence his or her current actions.
- Who has power (physical, emotional, etc.) over whom and why? What’s the source of the power? How is it being used? Which of your characters’ actions express that power relationship? Which actions lead to shifts in that power?
- What actions by which characters show relationships at risk rather than overt/obvious conflict between characters?
- List scenes you currently feel you’ll need to write. Which actions should you summarize?