Draft or revise a tentative thesis statement in an open doc window.
Answer these questions about the thesis in front of you:
• Is the thesis debatable? Exactly who would disagree with it? Why?
• How could the thesis be made more focused, risky, and clear?
• What question does it seem to answer? What ill-structured problem does it address?
• What does the thesis imply about the essay? Reading the thesis, what predictions can you make about the essay?
• What specific points do you think the essay will raise in support of the thesis?
Trade again. Answer the questions again.